Monday, May 28, 2012

Crockpot Breakfast. Take it or leave it.

I am not a morning person.  Oh, I don't mind getting up early.  Just don't expect me to have big conversations or be in a good mood for the first 30 minutes or so (unfortunately I also passed this trait on to my younger son).  So this means that I definitely don't get up early to fix my beloved family a hearty breakfast each morning. Maybe once a year I'll do that.  Once my kids were old enough pour their own milk (and I used to buy 1/2 gallons of milk to speed that process up!), it was self serve for breakfast around here.  They're all welcome to cook breakfast, and Lance does occasionally, but I don't do it.  No mom of the year for me in the breakfast category, but I'm OK with that.  So imagine my excitement when I pinned a recipe for a crockpot breakfast casserole that would cook while you sleep!  Now we're on to something!  Then I figured out the link was broken. :(  So, I did an internet search and found several recipes that I mashed together into my own.  It wasn't as good as I'd hoped.
Here's what I did:

Ingredients

30 oz. bag of hash  browns
1 lb. bacon, cooked and diced
1 med. size onion, diced (I used frozen)
1 green bell pepper, diced (again I used frozen)
1 1/2 C shredded cheddar, or whatever cheese you like
1 doz. eggs
1 C milk
1 tsp. salt (I used a little more)
1 tsp. pepper

Directions:
You need a larger crockpot for this.  Not sure how many quarts mine is.  I have three different sizes and I used the largest one, but I probably could've used the medium sized one.
Put crockpot liner in and spray with Pam.  What?  You don't use crockpot liners you say?  Get off your computer right now and go buy a box!!!!!  I'll never cook without them again.  They are literally the greatest kitchen invention since sliced bread!  Clean up is a breeze!  And if you try this recipe, you'll be glad you used it.
Layer 1/3 of the hash browns on bottom.  Then layer 1/3 of the bacon, onion, pepper and cheese. Repeat two more times ending with a layer of cheese.
Beat the eggs, milk, salt and pepper together.  Pour over crockpot layers.
Set crockpot to low and cook 10-12 hours.

Pretty simple recipe.  Most of the ones I looked at had about the same directions.  Some used sausage or different cheeses but were basically the same.  One person gave this 5 stars and said it was delicious.  He or she must be used to eating dog food because this isn't delicious.  Lance said it was edible.  Kelin said it was ok, but don't make it again.  Kenny never even tried it.  Chicken!  I agree with Kelin.  It was ok, but I'm not making it again.


Looks delish, huh?


First of all, it cooked about 11 hours in the crockpot and that is too long.  It was a little burnt on the edges and the top and bottom were too done (hence the reason I'm glad I used a liner or that would've been a mess to clean!!!!).  The middle was ok.  I'd say more like 8-9 hours of cooking would probably work.  Second of all, the egg basically just soaked into the hash browns.  It wasn't like there was fluffy egg throughout.  If you hadn't known egg was in the recipe, you wouldn't have guessed it was in there.  It was just basically like overcooked hash browns.  Also, every single time I woke up in the middle of the night, I could smell it cooking all the way in the bedroom with our door mostly closed.  I like delicious smells when I'm cooking, but not when I'm sleeping.

This just confirmed my opinion that breakfast is not the best meal of the day.  I don't even like breakfast unless it's a big bowl of cereal and milk!   I would have to find another recipe that was drastically different from all those I looked at in order to try this again.  I think I'll just stick to the casseroles you can mix up the night before then bake in the morning if I need a big breakfast for some reason.  Otherwise, there is always cereal at my house. :)

~Peace
Dawn

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Looks like I might have to try this one..
    Love crockpot ideas..
    Happy Memorial Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if you can get it to work out better than I did, let me know how!!!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...