Thursday, May 24, 2012

Smashed Potatoes

Well, that's what my family is going to call them anyway:  Smashed Potatoes.  If you follow my pins, you've probably seen this recipe.  Many of my friends have it pinned.  The original post is on The Pioneer Woman website.   She calls them Crash Hot Potatoes.   I was planning to have fried catfish and coleslaw for dinner and thought these potatoes would go great!

I followed the recipe pretty much as she has it on the website.  I used crushed parsley though and I think she used thyme or something.

Ingredients:
Small red potatoes - as many as you'll eat.  I used about 20 I think.  Remember, both my boys are home now!
Olive oil
Kosher salt
Pepper
Parsley (or other herbs as you like)

Directions:

Cook whole potatoes on stove in a pot of boiling water until fork tender.  This took about 1 hour.


Drizzle quite a bit of olive oil on a baking sheet.  I also used my pastry brush to spread it out.
Place potatoes on baking sheet spacing a couple inches apart.  I had too many on the sheet and they ended up smashed together.  That really doesn't make that much difference though.  
Smash the potatoes with a potato masher so they're flat like a cookie.  You could also use a fork.  
Brush olive oil on each potato and sprinkle with Kosher salt, pepper (I don't use much of that though) and crushed parsley (or other herbs).  Use plenty of salt.  I do like the Kosher better for this because it's a courser grain and sticks to the potatoes nicely.  
Bake at 450 degrees on top rack of oven for about 15 - 20 min. until lightly browned and a little crispy around the edges.  I think the potatoes on the website look a little burnt myself.  Ours were nicely browned. I probably could have cooked them a little longer, but my people were hungry and ready to eat!
That's it!  Pretty easy really.  




While the potatoes were baking, I was busy frying up some delicious catfish!


Add some coleslaw and you've got yourself a meal.  If you want to make coleslaw yourself, I recommend using Marie's brand coleslaw dressing.  It's actually really good for store bought and is super easy of you buy a bag of the already shredded coleslaw.  



The verdict:  Pretty darn good!  Everyone said this is a keeper recipe.  They're almost a cross between scalloped potatoes and french fries.  A nice alternative to mashed potatoes.  Kelin did suggest adding chopped bacon to them.  I think that is an excellent idea!  Or maybe even bacon bits of you're in a hurry.  You can't go wrong with bacon.  

There you have it.  Smashed Potatoes.  It's going in my recipe binder.  Did I mention that in addition to trying all of these recipes I'm also organizing them.  I went to Staples and bought this extremely cute 3 ring binder and all the inside fixins (tabbed dividers, colored cartstock, etc.).  All these stray recipes, both on paper, and on my computer, are causing my OCD skin to crawl.  I just can't take it anymore.  Now that I've started, I won't be satisfied until it's all organized.  Maybe after I get all this organization under way, I'll blog it.  Now that I'm on summer break, I'll have plenty of time to work on it!

~Peace
Dawn


Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Looks delish! How do you make the fish?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend of ours gave us some catfish that he wasn't going to cook. He had already done the hard work of fileting it. :) I coated it with something called "Fry Pan Magic" (I think!) Kind of like a shake and bake stuff. Then I just fried it in some oil in the pan. Nothing to it really!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUMMY.... looks sooo good..I am coming over for dinner to your house... Have a great Holiday weekend...
    Hugz.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Kim! You have a great weekend, too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...