Saturday, June 16, 2012

Yard Swing Redo

So I had this crappy looking swing in my yard.



The pictures don't even do it justice.  I've had this swing for probably 10 years or so and it was pretty ratty.  I had also repainted the frame when I took this picture.  It was rusty in a few spots so I gave it a little sanding, bought some spray paint and gave it a good two coats.  I wanted to just buy new cushions for it, but I couldn't find any.  No store in this town had bench replacement cushions!  So my inner Martha said, "Go ahead, Dawn.  You can do it.  You can sew some new cushions for that swing."  Sometimes my inner Martha has a pretty big ego that thinks she can do anything crafty.  And sometimes her ego gets kicked in the ass pretty good when she gets in the middle of a project and realizes she absolutely CAN'T do it!  So I was thinking this is one of those times, but what choice did I have?  So the hunt began for new fabric.  There were a couple of fabrics at JoAnn crafts I liked, but I was going to Springfield to visit my niece (and brother and sister-in-law too of course!) and thought I'd look at Hancock Fabrics while I was there.  Isn't my niece adorable???? :)


Anyway, I found some great fabric that was almost exactly what I wanted, and it was on sale for 50% off so I got it for $10/yard!  Score!  Then I had to get some foam insert.  Do you have any idea how freaking expensive foam is???????????  I only got 1 inch thick foam and it was $16.99/yard!!!!!!  Thankfully, I had a 50% off coupon for JoAnn's because I needed 4 yards.  Altogether, I spent around $65 for supplies.  Not real cheap, but it would have been much worse without all the discounts!

Now I was ready to begin...


Inner Martha thinks she's a sewing genius.  She's not.


I can't really provide a tutorial on how I did this because I basically just roughly measured the swing, then fabric, pinned it together, started sewing, and hoped for the best.  I'm not real patient when I sew, but things seem to turn out somehow.  The fabric ended up being looser around the foam than I wanted, but other than that, it actually came out pretty good!



Not too bad, huh?  Inner Martha got all smug when they actually turned out.  I'll have to give her credit this time.  She did pretty good.  They're not professional quality by any means but good enough for my back yard.  I'm most excited about the stripes matching up!  I can't believe they line up so perfect!  I also had a strip of leftover fabric and a big bag of fiberfill from another project so I made two throw pillows. 

I'm totally happy with the results!  It only took me about 2 hours to make the bench cushions from start to finish.  The pillows probably took another 45 minutes or so.  My next sewing project is going to be curtains for the playhouse that cute little niece in the picture has in her back yard.  I'm looking forward to that one!
I think I'll go sit in my swing and enjoy my back yard for awhile.

~Peace

Dawn


Pin It

4 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...