Monday, July 2, 2012

2 Ingredient Cinnamon Apple Cake

2 ingredients.  Easy.  Quick.  Score!!!!!!!!!  What more could you ask for in a recipe?  Well, I suppose you would want it to taste good, too.  And this tastes great!  I found it on Pinterest but the link doesn't go anywhere so I don't know who to give the credit to.  The original recipe is as follows:

2 Ingredient Cinnamon Apple Cake

1 can of apple pie filling and 1 box of Angel food cake (dry mix only). Combine both ingredients in a bowl. Transfer to greased 9x13 pan and bake at 350 deg. for 20 minutes or until top browns.

THAT'S IT!  I figured it had to be too good to be true but tried it anyway and was pleasantly surprised.  I made some minor adjustments though.  

Here's all 2 of the ingredients.  Seriously. 


When I combined the cake mix and apples, it seemed a little dry so I added about 2 tablespoons or so of milk.  That gave it a good batter consistency.  



Then, before I put it in the oven, I generously sprinkled a cinnamon and sugar mixture over the top of the batter.  (hard to tell the difference in the picture)



I cooked it for about 25 minutes until the top was good and brown.  Sorry, the pictures aren't the best.  I was in a hurry. :(


You can just see the apples inside the cake.


We ate it after dinner with vanilla ice cream and all four of us agreed that it is great!  It's light and fluffy with a bit of apple.  5 stars for as easy as it is!  Next time I make it, I might try adding a little more fruit though - maybe another 1/2 can of apples or so.  I don't know if 2 whole cans would mess up the baking or not. I might need to try it that way sometime just to find out.  I would also suggest serving it warm out of the oven with a little bit of caramel drizzled over the top and 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream.  Hungry yet? :) 

You've got to try it!

Dawn


Pin It

26 comments:

  1. Looks spectacular! Like a flatter version of my mother's Jewish Apple Cake. Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried this recipe and I'm sorry but it was way too sweet. Angel food cake is mostly all sugar. It was a good idea and simple to make but less was way too much in this instance. I won't be making it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you can try sugarfree pie filling.

      Delete
  3. It is pretty sweet. Sorry you didn't like it. Every recipe is not always for everyone. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would it work with other pie fillings, like cherry or berry?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks lovely. For more fruit, I would try two cans of the fruit, but only one can or less of thickened gel surrounding the apples. I have a similar recipe using canned fruit, and this works well for me. I agree, the more fruit, the better. To drain, I cut or pull the lid only part way around and invert the can into a heavy glass that holds the can up above the bottom, so the gel has some where to go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't personally tried other pie fillings, but I have seen them used on other sites. There's one that uses pineapple that I want to try! I see no reason why it wouldn't work with cherry pie filling or something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks really good will let you know what my hubby and Mom think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary! I hope they like it! :)

      Delete
  8. Do you think this would work with sugar free cake mix and sugar free pie filling . I'm Diabetic but I really want to make this cake.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All the examples I've seen are pretty adamant that it has to be a regular angel food cake mix so I'm really not sure. You could always just give it a try and see if it works if they make a sugar free version of angel food. The ingredients don't cost much so you wouldn't be out a lot if it didn't work. If you do try it, let me know how it goes! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am baking it now, and let me tell u it smells Fantastic!! I can't wait to try it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not sure what happen but I tried it twice. The first time it turn out to be like bread pudding. Used one can of pie filling and 2T of milk. The second time the middle fell in. Not sure if I should try a third time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine does sink some in the middle, too. It still tastes good though.

      Delete
    2. try inverting the cake after baking, like you do for an angel food cake...helped mine. I used the crushed pinapple and angel food cake..was awesome.

      Delete
    3. Excellent idea! Will have to try that! Thanks :)

      Delete
  12. My cake mix came with a separate "egg white mixture" packet. Do I mix that in as well or just the cake mix?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not completely sure. I've never seen a mix like that. I would think that you could add it though. It's probably what gives the cake its fluffy texture.

      Delete
  13. Thank you. I made this for our card party and had to give the directions to several of the attendees. It was a hit! did the cinnamon sugar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked it! Thank you for stopping by my blog!!!

      Delete
  14. Does it come out like cake or is it gooey?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine came out like a cake.

      Delete
    2. Thanks. Was thinking of taking it for after service church treat and was wondering if it was easy enough to just eat by hand

      Delete
  15. I have made the Angel food with a can of crushed pineapple an it was very tasty .First time I made it did flop in the center .Second time it came out perfect .My guess is that it takes a lot of mixing up .It has like a foamy substance to it as you are stirring it .But it was still tasty both times .Will have to try the Apple pie filling an Angel food next .Sounds like it would be very good also.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I made it using two total cans of apple pie filling and some apple pie spice for extra apple pie flavor. Then made cream cheese frosting and again added some apple pie spice flavoring.....oh my.....perfection! Sweet with the icing so even though you would like a BIG piece, start out with a smaller piece first and see what you think. MMMM....this will definitely be made over and over again!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I put some salted caramel morsals on top of mine as soon as it came out of the oven so they would melt into it before adding the ice cream and it was absolute perfection!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...