Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole

You know it's hot when you don't even feel like standing outside long enough to grill some meat!  We use our grill year round, but this week, no one wants to go out and fire it up.  I'm not too crazy about firing up the oven either, but at least it doesn't involve standing outside.  I found this recipe a week ago or so and thought I'd try it out.  The Six Sister's Stuff website always has delicious recipes!

Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole


Ingredients:
1 (6 oz) pkg. chicken flavored stuffing mix
1 (10 3/4 oz) can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 tablespoon prepared, Dijon mustard
3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cut into bite-size pieces 
3 cups fresh broccoli florets
2 cups cooked, chopped ham
6 slices of extra thin Swiss cheese

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375ºF.  Prepare stuffing as directed on package.  Mix soup and mustard in medium bowl; stir in chicken, broccoli and ham. Spoon into 2-qt. casserole dish sprayed with cooking spray; top with cheese slices and stuffing.  Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until heated through.

It couldn't be easier!  I cooked my chicken breasts in the crock pot during the day so they were ready when I wanted to fix supper.  When you cook them in the crockpot though, they don't cut up into chunks very well so I just shredded the chicken.  Either way seems fine.  


I used my new Pampered Chef Mix and Chop tool to shred the chicken.  Works great for this!


I also used frozen broccoli instead of fresh.  It's just easier!  I precooked the broccoli for about 5 minutes in the microwave before mixing it with the chicken and ham.  After mixing the soup and mustard with the other ingredients, transfer it to a greased 9x13 baking dish.  


Top with Swiss cheese slices.  I will buy a better quality of Swiss cheese next time.  These slices were cheaper and I was in a hurry at the store, but I think better cheese would make a difference in the taste and moisture of the dish.  


Top it off with the cooked stuffing and pop it in the oven.  


I baked it for about 35 minutes and it was ready to go!


MMMMM.....


It really has about all you need for the meal right in the casserole, but you could serve it with a salad.  I had cottage cheese on the side because, well, I have cottage cheese with almost every meal!  :)


Lance says it was delicious and one recipe that I should add to the usual rotation and I agree.  My kids weren't available for comment because they were both working and didn't get to sample this delicious meal.  They'll get the leftovers! :)   I do feel it's more of a fall/winter dish though.  Maybe it's because of the stuffing.  
If you use the crockpot for the chicken, or already had the chicken cooked and available in the freezer, this would be an extremely easy meal on a busy night. 
Tomorrow, I'll have another new recipe at the request of my son:  Cowboy Casserole!  Until then, happy eating! :)

~Dawn
I was part of these Linky Parties!  Check it out:


Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Yum!! I've seen this recipe on Chef In Training too and I think it looks divine. You have now convinced me to try it. Haha when I do, I'll be sure to feature it on my blog and refer back to you. Hope you're having a fantastic day! New follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a delicious recipe! Let me know how you like after you try it and thanks in advance for referring it back to me on your blog if you do. I'm so excited to have a non-family/friend follower!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...