Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Cowboy Casserole

So one night last week I got on the computer to catch up on Pinterest and noticed that my SON had tagged me in a pin for this recipe.  In his defense, he was being a good boyfriend and patiently sitting with his girlfriend who was perusing Pinterest at the time.  Apparently she came across this recipe and he wanted me to try it so they sent it to me.  How could I not make this for a guy who will actually sit still for Pinterest?????  The recipe came from The Cutting Edge of Ordinary.  This is exactly how it's printed on her website:

Cowboy Casserole


1 1/2 pounds ground beef (I used 80/20)
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 can (15.25oz) whole kernel corn, drained
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cup milk
4 tablespoons sour cream
1 bag (30 oz) frozen tater tots (I used Ore-Ida Crispy Crowns)

Before I got ready to make this casserole, I let the Crispy Crowns sit on the counter to defrost for an hour or so. The original recipe used still frozen tater tots, but I felt they wouldn't cook as well if they were still frozen solid.

In a large skillet cook the onion until tender and translucent. Add the chopped garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add the beef and cook over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain the mixture and place into a large bowl and set aside.

In a small bowl combine the soup, milk and sour cream. Whisk until smooth. Add to hamburger mixture and stir to combine. Add corn and 1 cup of cheddar cheese. Gently mix to combine.

Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish. Layer half of the Crispy Crowns on the bottom, pour the hamburger mixture over the top and then layer with the other half of the Crispy Crowns. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese and bake at 350 for 25 - 30 minutes, or until golden brown and crunchy.

Even though it's a long winded recipe, it's really very easy.  Everyone probably has some version of this that they already make.  This one is actually similar to my Shepherd's Pie recipe except I use mashed potatoes on that.  
After cooking and draining the ground beef, I just added all the other ingredients - except potatoes - into a large bowl and mixed together well.  I cook the onion with my ground beef  and not before like it says in the recipe.  Also, I added a can of green beans to have more vegetables.  

Layer half of the potatoes on the bottom of a greased 9x13 baking dish.


Spread the ground beef mixture over the potatoes.  


Arrange the remaining potatoes on top and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, or until potatoes are done and crispy, golden brown.  


So simple!


I served it with a side salad.  


Kenny with his requested recipe! :)  We all agree that it's delicious and we would love to have it again!


~Dawn


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...