Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Italian Layer Bake

I'm not quite sure why this recipe is called "Italian."   I guess it's the layered meat, sandwich style.
Well, I'm just doing to dive right in to the recipe from the Mr. Food website:


Ingredients
  • (8-ounce) container refrigerated crescent rolls
  • slices (1/2 pound) deli turkey
  • slices (1/2 pound) deli ham
  • 12 slices (1/2 pound) deli hard salami
  • slices (1/2 pound) Swiss cheese
  • (12-ounce) jar roasted peppers, drained
  • eggs, beaten
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Unroll crescent roll dough without separating triangles. Separate dough into 2 squares along center cut line.
     
  2. Place 1 square of dough into an 8-inch square baking dish; using your fingertips, press dough to fit bottom of dish.
     
  3. Layer with half of each of turkey, ham, salami, Swiss cheese, and roasted peppers. Pour half of beaten eggs over peppers and repeat with remaining meat, cheese, and peppers.
     
  4. Place remaining square of dough over peppers. Pour remaining beaten eggs over dough and cover lightly with foil.
     
  5. Bake 20 minutes, remove foil, and bake an additional 20 to 22 minutes, or until golden and heated through. Let cool 15 to 20 minutes then cut and serve.

I actually doubled the recipe because the thought of anything cooked in an 8 inch square baking dish feeding my family is hilarious!  We're also not salami fans so I substituted that with roast beef.  Also, I opted for fresh red peppers rather than a jar of roasted peppers.  I used 2 large peppers for a double recipe.  

First, I put an entire package of the refrigerator crescent rolls on the bottom of the greased dish and pressed dough out to fit the pan and pinch the seams together.


This is just a picture with the first layer of ham so you can get an idea of how the layers look.  I bought 1 pound each of the three meats but ended up using about 3/4 of a pound of each one.  


I used fresh red peppers on the sandwich.  They stay a little crisp, even after baking for 40 minutes so if you don't like that, I suggest cooking them a little before you add them to the dish.  This picture is before I added half the eggs. 


I didn't worry about sealing the seams and pressing out the top layer of crescent rolls perfectly.  If you wanted to, you could press them out some before you add them to the top in order to have a more covered top.  I was in a hurry and just wanted to get it in the oven.  You can also see the eggs I poured over the top. 


Fresh out of the oven!  Looks good, huh?!  I cooked it for approximately 40 minutes.  I forgot to reset the timer after I removed the foil so I just cooked it until the top was nice and golden brown.



The verdict?  We all decided it was a pretty good meal.  It's not going to be one of our new favorites, but I'd make it occasionally.  I will say that the only thing I didn't like was how much liquid the meat generates when cooking.  After you cut the first piece, you can see the juices running out of the meat.  It made the bottom layer of rolls a tad soggy.  I'm not sure what to do about that, if there is even anything that can be done.  It didn't affect the taste or anything though.  We ate this with a side salad.  It's a good summer meal!


~Dawn


I was part of Foodie Friday!  Check it out:





Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Holy cow, this looks rich and delish! Thank you for linking to Foodie Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It tasted very delish indeed! The leftovers are great, too. I'm so excited that you commented on my blog! My blog is only a few months old and you are the first person that's neither family nor friend to make a comment. Yeah! :) Today is the first time I've tried linky parties. I also went back and added a button at the end of my post!
    Thanks so much for checking out my link!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make something very similar to this on special occasions. I use pepperoni instead of turkey and both swiss and provolone. And I only brush the top with eggs instead of pouring it over the top. But to keep the bottom from getting too soggy, I pre-bake the crescent bottom by itself for 5-7 minutes, just until starting to turn golden. And if I really want to drain the grease out, I found a 9x12 pan at Bed Bath and Beyond that has a removable rack in it. So then I pre-bake the bottom, remove it from the pan, put the rack in, place the crescent bottom back, and assemble the rest. It's a little more work, but well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea to pre-bake the bottom crust to not make it so soggy! I'll have to try that. And that pan you got with the removable rack sounds great! I'm going to have to look for one of those. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such great feedback!!!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...