Sunday, July 15, 2012

Karen's Sloppy Joes

I have no idea who Karen is, but I love her sloppy joe recipe!  Some people have a love/hate relationship with sloppy joes in my household.  Hubby likes them, but can't eat the Manwich stuff you buy in a can because it has rather unpleasant intestinal side effects for him.  'Nuf said about that.  I had been making sloppy joes for years using tomato soup and cream of celery soup.  It was ok but didn't have a lot of flavor and not what I was after.  So I ran across this recipe from The Sister's Cafe website and thought I'd give it a whirl.  It ended up being just what I was looking for!  It's easy and delicious!


Ingredients:

1 lb ground turkey or lean ground beef
1 onion
3/4 c. ketchup
2 T. brown sugar
1.5 T. mustard
1 T. apple cider vinegar
1 T. worcestershire sauce

Directions:

Chop onion and assemble ingredients. Brown ground turkey/beef in a large frying pan. Add the remainder of the ingredients and mix well. Serve on hamburger bun or whatever you would like. 

The recipe is a little skimpy on instructions, but I would assume that everyone knows to cook the ground beef first and drain it before adding the other ingredients.  I followed the recipe except I doubled it and added 1 extra tablespoon of brown sugar and I used Dijon mustard rather than plain yellow mustard.  Also, I already had the hamburger cooked so I just pulled a batch from the freezer and defrosted it.  It had already been cooked using onion so I just added about one more 1/2 cup of onion to the mix rather than a whole onion.  


After browning the ground beef, add all the other ingredients to the pan and stir until they're well combined.  I cooked it for about 10 minutes on medium heat then about another 10 minutes on low to make sure the flavors all had time to blend.  If you don't let it cook long enough, you'll end up with a more tangy flavor than you might like.  


We ate them with a side salad and chips.  Rather I had them with Kettle Kurls.  Love me some of that super puffed, cheese flavored, too many calories, yummyness!


Everyone agreed that this was definitely our new go to sloppy joe recipe from now on!  No more eat and bathroom runs with Manwich or bland tasting soup blends for us!  Woohoo!

~Dawn

I was part of these Linky Parties!  Check it out:

I Heart Nap Time


Everyday Mom's Meals



Pin It

6 comments:

  1. We love sloppy joes in this house and yours look great. Thanks for sharing at Church Supper. Love seeing new faces. Have a blessed week & come back soon ~EMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by! I will try to share again at Church Supper very soon. Love your site!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a recipe worth trying. The name of my husband's favorite recipe is Willow Creek School BBQ. His family still makes it from the time they were all in elementary school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's definitely worth trying! :) Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simple and good. Thanks for sharing!
    Stopping by from Raising Memories. Love for you to stop by and return the follow. Hosting Mom's Monday Mingle. Love for you to link up ;)
    www.thenaptimereview.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! I'll check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...