Friday, July 20, 2012

Quick Skillet Supper

My mom reads my blog. (Thanks mom!)  One day she asked me, "Don't you try any new recipes that you didn't find on the internet?"  Well, yes I do.  It's just that lately Pinterest has consumed all my free time (well, maybe not ALL, but certainly a good chunk of my daily computer time) and there are so many great recipes there right in front of me!  However, mom's comment spurred me to think outside of Pinterest and try an actual recipe from a book.  You remember cookbooks, right?  You probably have some in a small cupboard above your stove or stuffed behind the baking supplies on a bottom shelf somewhere.  I have  quite a few cookbooks but there is one that I actually use occasionally because it has some go to recipes for me like Babe's Scalloped Corn and Layered Salad.  It's the Coldbrook Christian Church Sesquicentennial Cook Book. Coldbrook Christian Church is where we got married way back in 1992. Yes, we celebrated 20 years of wedded bliss last April.  Wooohooo!

Anyway, I LOVE church cookbooks.  Those church ladies really know their cooking shiznit!!!! (my sons will be so proud I just used that word!)  This particular cookbook is a compilation of all the cookbooks that the church has produced through the years starting with one in 1934.  I love reading these old recipes.  You can really get a feel for how different things were then.  Some recipes were much less complicated and used ingredients like:

1 heaping Tbsp. lard
1 yeast cake, compressed
2/3 cup sour milk
1/2 cup melted shortening
1 cup sorghum

What, what????  No wonder life expectancy was only around 61 years old.  They put lard and shortening in everything!  I also noticed that many recipes in the early part of this book seem to assume that you already knew your way around a kitchen.  They weren't any too detailed:

Florida Stew
Boil slowly 1 lb ground beef and 1/2 lb. ground pork.  Later add diced potatoes and diced onions, salt, pepper and one can of tomato paste.
~Mrs. Ethel Acklam

Mint Sauce
Chop mint fine, and add enough olive oil to form a paste.  Add vinegar, salt and sugar to taste.
~Sarah Wallace

Roll Jelly Cake
3 eggs             1 cup flour
1 cup sugar     1 tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp water
Beat eggs until foamy.  Bake cake 20 minutes with quick fire.
~Lucille Wilson

Wow! WTH is quick fire?  If I put a recipe up like this now, I'd have 10,000 questions about it!  Not all recipes are like this of course.  Many of them do have more details.  I love to read them though and someday I'm going to try some of them just for giggles and grins.  Today was not that day, however.  I opted for a recipe from the 1989 section of the cookbook.  I wanted something quick and easy so this is what I tried:

Quick Skillet Supper

Ingredients:
1lb. ground beef 
1 tsp dill weed
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
2 cans (15 oz.) Veg-All mixed vegetables, do not completely drain
1 can (10 oz.) beef broth
2 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked
1 cup sour cream
1 can french fried onions

Directions:
In a large skillet, brown meat and drain.  Stir in seasonings, Veg-All (reserve some liquid), broth, and macaroni (uncooked).  Bring mixture to a boil.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes, stirring twice during cooking time.  Stir in sour cream and 1/2 can of onions.  Heat through, do not boil.  Top with remaining onions.  Makes 6-8 servings.
~Paula Rassi

I changed a little wording in the recipe to make it clearer.  Also, I season the ground beef when I cook it, rather than add salt and pepper later. Because I have a few big eaters in my house, I also used 2 lbs. of ground beef so I felt like I needed more liquid to get the macaroni to cook.  I had already drained my Veg-All, so I just opened another can of beef broth and used about half of it.  I changed the recipe to say that you should use some of the liquid from the Veg-All.  If you make this, use your own judgement on how much liquid to use.  Maybe drain the Veg-All into a bowl and then add it later if you need more liquid or add more beef broth.  Just make sure you have enough liquid to cook the macaroni.  Hope I didn't confuse you!  This is how I cook though...adjusting as I go.   I didn't increase the other ingredients with the exception of the sour cream.  I probably used about 1 1/2 cups.  

This shows the mixture right when I started cooking it.  You can see all the liquid in the center and the uncooked macaroni.  


After boiling and cooking for 15 minutes.  The macaroni is done and most of the liquid has been absorbed.  


After stirring in the sour cream and topping with the remaining onions it's ready to serve from the skillet.  


The verdict?  It's a new favorite! Kelin thought I should've added cheese, but that was the only suggestion.  I'm going to add this to my extensive repertoire of ground beef recipes.  I didn't have any frozen, already cooked ground beef on hand this time, but if I did, this would take no time at all to get ready.  This was enough to feed all of us and have plenty of leftovers for the next day's lunch.  Give it a try!

~Dawn

I was part of this Linky Party!  Check it out:





Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Easy and quick! Great kind of recipe to make! :) Please don't forget to like us on Facebook Thank you for linking to Foodie Friday!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...