Sunday, July 22, 2012

Summer Fruit Salad and Crack Potatoes

Today I am excited to bring you two new recipes!  One from me, and one from my brother and sister-in-law.  But first, I'm going to give a shout out to my wonderful mom!  Happy birthday and I love you!  Her birthday is next weekend, but we celebrated yesterday with my brother and his family.



I also got the bonus of spending time with my precious niece.  Love that adorable smile!



My brother grilled us some delicious bbq chicken and streaks on the grill.  My sister-in-law wanted to make the Crack Potatoes that we had both pinned and I made a Summer Fruit Salad.  So, with her permission, I have a guest recipe!  Let's start with the fruit salad:

Summer Fruit Salad

1 (5.1 oz) pkg vanilla instant pudding
1 (20 oz) can pineapple tidbits with juice
1 lb. fresh strawberries, quartered
1 cup fresh blueberries (optional)
3 bananas, sliced

1. In a bowl combine the pudding mix and canned pineapple with the juice.  Stir until well blended and all the pudding mixture has dissolved.
2. Fold in the strawberries and blueberries if desired.  Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
3. Just before serving, fold in the sliced bananas.


That's it!  Pretty darn easy.  I'm not a blueberry fan though so I used red grapes instead.  You could use any in season fruit that you like.  
Clean and cut the strawberries and mix with the grapes.



Mixing the pudding and pineapple creates a thick mixture.


After mixing pudding and pineapple, combine with other fruit. 


Just before serving, add the sliced bananas.  Looks yummy!


This makes a pretty good sized fruit salad.  I would only make it if you have quite a few people to feed because it really doesn't keep very well for leftovers, especially the bananas.  I ate some of it the following day, minus the bananas, and the fruit was starting to get soft.  

Now, on to the potatoes....

Crack Potatoes

2 (16oz) containers sour cream
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
2 (3oz) bags real bacon bits
2 packages Ranch Dip mix
1 large (28 - 30oz) bag frozen hash brown potatoes - shredded kind

Combine first 4 ingredients, mix in hash browns.  Spread into a 9x13 pan.  Bake at 400 for 45-60 minutes. 

I didn't take any pictures before it was cooked because we didn't think about putting it on the blog until after it was already cooking.  We ended up cooking it for probably about an hour and it came out  a nice golden brown on top.  Oh, and we used one pound of real, cooked and crumbled bacon instead of the bacon bits.  



Looks like a pretty good meal, huh? :)  It was all DELICIOUS!  Everyone liked the potatoes as well but we thought they were a little too salty or ranchy tasting.  We decided that if we make them again, we'll cut the recipe down to one, or at least one and half, ranch packet.  That should be just about perfect!


Here's the evidence that everyone liked the potatoes.  They were all gone except one spoonful!


It was definitely a great day spent with family and delicious food!  I love spending time with family and a yummy meal makes it all the better. :)

~Dawn
and guest recipe maker, Bobbi :)  (well, my brother actually mixed up the potatoes, but it was her idea. LOL!)










Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...