Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Taco Bake

After getting rave reviews for the supper I cooked last night (Thanks, Demi!), I decided I would post it on the blog.  It's not a new recipe.  I've made this for years.  It's similar to Taco Crap that I blogged quite awhile back (I actually mention this recipe at the end of that post).  However, this recipe is quicker to throw together.  I actually like it better than Taco Crap myself (probably because it is easier for me!).  There's no one else to give recipe credit to because I came up with this all my own.  Please, hold your applause, it wasn't that difficult.  I think it actually came about because I had everything I needed for tacos, except the shells.  So this recipe was really came about as a desperate attempt to feed my family when I had missing ingredients.

Taco Bake
Ingredients:
1-2 pounds ground beef, cooked in taco seasoning and drained.
1 can refried beans
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
1 can whole kernel corn, drained,
8 oz bag shredded taco seasoned cheddar cheese (or regular shredded cheddar is fine, too).
1 bag Fritos corn chips
Extra shredded cheddar for top

(I don't know the exact ounces of all the canned foods, but they're all the normal size - about 15 ounces)

Cook ground beef in taco seasoning and drain.
Spread refried beans on bottom of 9x13 greased pan.
Add cooked hamburger on top of beans, spread out evenly.
Layer diced tomatoes on hamburger.
Layer corn on tomatoes.
Sprinkle layers with all the taco cheese.
Lightly cover with foil and bake for about 25 minutes at 375 degrees.
Remove foil and cover top layer with Fritos (might not use the whole bag - depends on your preference- I use about 3/4 of bag).
Sprinkle extra shredded cheese on top.
Return to oven, uncovered, and cook for about 5-10 minutes longer, until cheese is melted and it's heated through.
This isn't a picture I took.  I wasn't planning to post this when I made it, so no pics. :(  I got this one online.  It's very close to what it looks like baked.

Photo:  tasteofhome.com

That's it!  I serve it with shredded lettuce and sour cream.  Sometimes I buy a bag of Lipton Taco Rice and serve with it, or add it into the layers on top of the meat.  You could add whatever you like really into the layers - chiles maybe, if you like spicey food.  I've also made this with a topping of corn bread or Bisquick when I didn't have the chips.  Just mix up a package of Jiffy corn bread mix or a couple of cups of Bisquick and spread it on top before baking.  If you use either of those methods, I would bake at the recommended temperature on the the box though.

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this tip before or not, so I'm sorry if this is a repeat.  Cook large batches of ground beef at one time and freeze into individual meal portions.  I sometimes cook and drain 6 pounds of meat at a time (I have a HUGE skillet!!!!) and freeze it into 2 pound packages after it's cooled.  Then, when I'm ready for a ground beef meal, all I do is defrost it and half the work is already done.  This is great for spaghetti, sloppy joes, tacos, etc. It really cuts down your prep time.  Next to weekly meal planning, this is the best time saver in my kitchen!

~Dawn


I was part of this Linky Party!  Check it out:

Whipperberry


Pin It

2 comments:

  1. love this and think my family will as well yummy eating come see what I shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! You'll have to let me know what your family thinks. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...