Monday, August 6, 2012

10 Reasons I Love Living in the Country

I wasn't born a country girl.  I wouldn't exactly call myself a city girl either since I grew up in a town of about 10,000 in the heart of the midwest prairie.  I was, however, used to living in town riding my bike everywhere, thinking nothing of hopping in the car to run to the store, and having neighbors a few feet away.  Then I met a country boy, fell in love and got married.  We still live in the same house, on the same farm, in the same part of the country.  Now that I've been here for over 21 years, I can't imagine moving back to town.  There are so many reasons I love where I live!  We don't live on a huge farm or raise any animals.  I'm a country girl in the sense that I live in the country on a small farm, my husband farms part-time, and there's a field in my backyard.   I do have a few neighbors, but we're basically the same 2 families that have always lived here.  So yes, I do consider myself a country girl.  And here are...

10 Reasons I Love Living in the Country

1.  It's so quiet!!!!!!!!!  I can sit outside at any point in the day and all I can hear is birds.  When I visit friends "in town," I always notice how much noisier it is there.  Trains, trains, and more trains, sirens, neighbors.....I'm sure you'd get used to it, but I'm happy without all that noise.

2.  Room to play.  My kids had acres of yard to play in...baseball, football, paintball.  We've had many family gatherings and always room for the kids to run wild - and sometimes the adults, too.

3.  I can build a fire anytime I want.  I know many towns have restrictions on this.  I love sitting outside with a fire, having weenie roasts, or just burning our brush if we need to.

4.  Getting snowed in.  I can get snowed in pretty good out here!  It sometimes takes a lot longer to get plowed out here.  I love it!  Not having to go anywhere, snuggling up with a book, watching movies, whatever. 

5.  It's a good reason to excuse myself from something I don't want to do.  (my secret is out!)  As in:  "I really don't feel like driving to town today."  or "I've already been to town once today.  I'm not going in again." :)

6.  No door to door salesmen.

7.  Watching my wildlife.  Cardinals, hummingbirds, squirrels, rabbits, an occasional skunk (who we quickly dispose of!), and once in a while deer, coyotes, foxes, etc. 

8.  All my flowers and (next year!) a huge garden.  I used to share a garden with my mother-in-law (who lives about 100 yards from me by the way), but next year we are going to cut down a huge tree in the backyard and then I'll have plenty of space for my very own garden! Of course you can have flowers and a garden in town, but I don't have to give up a lot of my space becuase I have so much room to begin with. 

9.  Being able to be as noisy as you want.  Loud stereo? Party running late?  No neighbors will complain.  Fireworks?  Sure!  Gun target practice?  You bet!  Even though I like it quiet, we don't have to worry about being too loud of the need arises. 

10.  It's peaceful.  I know that I already said quiet, but peaceful is much different.  My favorite thing in the world to do is to sit outside in my backyard on a perfect day and just relax.  It's so peaceful.  I could sit there for hours and just do nothing but sit and "be."

~Dawn

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...