Saturday, August 4, 2012

Chicken Spaghetti

"This is a keeper!"  That is a direct quote from my husband after he tasted this new dish.  We all loved it and it will definitely be in our regular recipe rotation.  I got the recipe from The Pioneer Woman.  I wish she was my best friend.  She's like Martha Stewart for the country girl!  I wasn't raised a country girl, but I made the transition quickly after I married into it.  Now I can't imagine living a life in town.  There's so many things I love about the country.  Hey now...there's a great idea for a new List of 10! :)

But you're here to see a post about Chicken Spaghetti...

Chicken Spaghetti

Ingredients
2 cups Cooked Chicken
3 cups Dry Spaghetti, Broken Into Two Inch Pieces
2 cans Cream Of Mushroom Soup
2 cups Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1/4 cup Finely Diced Green Pepper
1/4 cup Finely Diced Onion
1 jar (4 Ounce) Diced Pimentos, Drained
2 cups Reserved Chicken Broth From Pot
1 teaspoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt
1/8 teaspoon (to 1/4 Teaspoon) Cayenne Pepper
Salt And Pepper, to taste
1 cup Additional Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese

Preparation Instructions
Cook 1 cut up fryer and pick out the meat to make two cups. Cook spaghetti in same chicken broth until al dente. Do not overcook. When spaghetti is cooked, combine with remaining ingredients except additional 1 cup sharp cheddar.
Place mixture in casserole pan and top with remaining sharp cheddar. Cover and freeze up to six months, cover and refrigerate up to two days, or bake immediately: 350 degrees for 45 minutes until bubbly. (If the cheese on top starts to get too cooked, cover with foil).

If you go to her website, she has more extensive directions and pictures.  I really recommend reading the recipe on her blog as well as this one to read her other tips.  

Now, even though I am a country girl, if there's a shortcut or easier method in cooking, I'm all for it!  Her recipe calls for cooking an entire chicken and picking the meat off the bone.  As you probably know from other recipes, my favorite method is to cook chicken breasts in the crock pot all day so they're ready for the recipe at supper.  When you use the crock pot though, you can't cut the chicken into chunks very easily, it mostly shreds.  So if you really want chicken chunks, you'll need to boil it as she did.  My family isn't partial either way so I go the easier route.  

I probably used about 3 cups (her recipe calls for 2).  We like meat!  I also reserved some of the broth from the crock pot for later as well as added a little to the boiling water for the spaghetti.  


I am not a huge pimento fan.  Rather than add jar of pimentos, I cut up some red bell pepper.  I probably ended up adding about 1/2 cup of green and red pepper each.  I think that you could add other vegetables to this if you don't like peppers.  Maybe broccoli or mushrooms would work.  Her recipe calls for adding 2 cups of broth.  I think that would be too much.  I added 1 cup and thought that was plenty.  If you read her blog, she even says she doesn't use the whole 2 cups.  The rest of the ingredients were added as listed. 

All stirred up and into a greased 9x13 dish! 


Spread some cheese on top and ready to bake at 350.....


40 minutes or so later you have a delicious meal!


I know, my food styling leaves a lot to be desired.  It looks like a blob of stuff here.  But trust me when I say it was delicious!  We apparently also eat a lot of salad in the summer.  I think many of my end pictures show a salad. :)  This recipe would be really hard to mess up so give it a try and let me know what you think!


~Dawn





Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Add mushrooms and Parmesan cheese on top and you've got tetrazzini--yum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's very similar to a tetrazzini. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...