Monday, August 20, 2012

Chocolate Chip Banana Oatmeal Cookies

Whew!  What a crazy  last week it has been with all the back to school stuff!  I've barely had time to try any new recipes!  I was going into work for a couple of weeks before school actually started.  My boys both went back to school last week, too.  I "officially" started school on Wednesday, but the kids started school on Thursday.  My "baby", Kelin, started his senior year of high school this year!  I don't know where the last 17 years have gone, but he has grown up way too fast for this mama. 


He looks excited doesn't he?  We were in a hurry and I grabbed him fresh out of the shower and said, "Hurry up and just throw some clothes on so I can get some pictures."  LOL!!!!!!I was in a hurry because we were actually leaving to take my older son, Kenny, to college.  He's starting his sophomore year this year.

Kenny (on left) and his roomate. (and no, my son isn't that short, his roomate is just really tall)

My two handsome boys, er men!

We got everyone where they needed to be and school is going well so far.  We've got everyone settled into a routine again and things will slow down a bit.   Although, I start a grad class tomorrow night so that will keep me busy.  Teachers are always going to school for something!  I do hope to still be able to keep up with at least one blog post a week though. 

Which brings me to the real reason for this post.....cookies!  I got the recipe from Six Sister's Stuff.  Love their site!

Chocolate Chip Banana Oatmeal Cookies

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup mashed ripe banana (about 1 large)
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
2 cups chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda in a small bowl and set aside. Place butter and sugars into a mixing bowl and beat on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Reduce speed to low. Add egg and vanilla and mix until combined. Mix in banana. Add flour and mix until just combined. Stir in oats and chocolate chips. Using a 1 1/2-inch ice cream scoop or cookie scoop, drop dough onto baking sheets spacing about 2 inches apart. Bake cookies until golden brown and just set, about 12 to 13 minutes.

Perfectly golden brown!

I followed the directions exactly!  I don't tend to mess with recipes when I'm baking because as my family will tell you, I am not a baker.  I can do box mixes, but when I start trying to do things from scratch it can get a little dicey.  I think the problem is that you have to be too precise in baking.  I'm more of a pinch of this and a dash of that kind of girl.  Cooking suits me better.  Anyway...I made these cookies exactly as directed and they turned out great!  I wouldn't say they are the best cookies I've ever tasted, but they are pretty darn good.  They are moist and fluffy and have a good texture.  The banana is just enough to give them a hint of flavor.  I think if anything were changed, I might add a little more oatmeal because I love oatmeal.  Otherwise, they're pretty good as is.  Not a new favorite, but a nice recipe to use up one of those too ripe bananas so you don't have to throw it out. I generally would have the rest of the ingredients on hand at all times so they would be easy to whip up at the last minute. 
I think I'd like to try more desserts for awhile.  I've been making new dinner recipes so much this summer that I've kind of gotten off track of what I usually fix.  I'm having a hard time coming up with weekly menus because I can't remember what I used to cook!  I'm getting anxious to start cooking more fall like recipes - soups, apple crisp, pumpkin stuff.  Can't wait for the summer weather to be done!  I'm a fall girl through and through. :)

Happy back to school week!

~Dawn

I was part of this Linky Party!  Check it out!


Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Those cookies sound delicious! Kids do grow up so fast don't they! Mine are only 7 and 9 just now - but I can't believe how fast they've gotten to these ages! Hopefully the teenage years don't come by too quickly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Jill! My boys have definitely grown up fast! I've loved every new stage and am exciting about the coming years' and moving into the next phase of our relationship.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...