Saturday, August 4, 2012

Crock Pot Ravioli

I love my crock pot!  I wish I could cook every meal in it.  Well, I probably could, but I think my family would miss some of their favorite meals that really aren't crock pot friendly.  Although, I am finding that I can cook many things with a crock pot that I had never thought of before.  For example, this Crock Pot Ravioli recipe.  Generally, I would make my ravioli just like my spaghetti:  cook the meat in a pan, add the sauce, cook the ravioli in water, done.  The only thing I had to pre-cook here was the hamburger I added (the recipe doesn't call for it, but as you know, we like meat!).  I got the recipe from the Six Sisters' Stuff website.  Love these chicks!  They have some great recipe ideas!!!!!!!!!!

Crock Pot Ravioli


Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
2 (26 ounce) jars four cheese pasta sauce
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
2 (25 ounce) packages frozen beef ravioli

Directions:
Spray crock pot with Pam.  In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat, add onion and garlic and cook for 4 minutes stirring occasionally.  Stir in pasta sauce, tomato sauce and Italian seasoning.  Place 1 cup of sauce in crock pot.  Add 1 package of the ravioli, top with 1 cup of the cheese.  Top with remaining package of ravioli and 1 cup cheese.  Pour remaining sauce over the top.  Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours. 

So, now that you've read their recipe, let me just say that I didn't hardly follow it all! :))))))  First of all, I don't know what I was thinking when I shopped for this recipe because I didn't have the four cheese pasta sauce, Italian seasoning, or the tomato sauce.  What I did have was some alfredo sauce and spaghetti sauce.  We also like the cheese ravioli much better than the beef kind so I added ground beef to my sauce.   My ingredients list looked more like this:

2 lbs. ground beef (cooked with onion and seasoning, drained)
1 jar alfredo sauce
1 jar spaghetti sauce
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1 small can mushrooms, drained
1 can tomatoes, undrained
3 cups shredded mozzarella (more than their recipe calls for)
2 packages cheese ravioli

After I cooked and drained the ground beef, I added all the other ingredients except cheese and ravioli (the mushrooms aren't in this picture because I forgot them and added them later).  Ground beef, spaghetti sauce, alfredo sauce, peppers, tomatoes...


I spread a few spoonfuls of the sauce on the bottom of the crock pot then added one bag of ravioli.  Then I spread a thick layer of sauce...


Then a layer of mozzarella.  Repeat the layers.  The next time I make this, I'm using my larger crock pot.  This one was too full.  After it started cooking, I thought "Why didn't you just lift the bag out and put it in your  larger crock pot you idiot?!!!"  DUH!  Oh well.  I'll remember next time. It still worked. I used a lot more cheese than the original recipe calls for because the other thing we like as much as meat around here is cheese!!!!! 


I cooked it on high for about 4 hours then turned it to low.  If I was going to be gone all day, I'd probably cook it on low the whole time.  It looked a little soupy so I took the lid off for it to cook for the last hour or so.  There's probably some weird health reason you shouldn't do that, but we all survived just fine.  


I actually didn't get to eat this recipe straight from the crock pot because I went out to dinner with my BFFs. I can tell you that the leftovers are terrific though!  My family said it was really good the first time around, too.  If you're not cooking for a crowd, or at least for a couple of hungry teenagers, then you might want to just cut the recipe in half because it makes a huge amount of ravioli.  


Happy eating!

~Dawn


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...