Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Hawaiian Dessert

I have found another great summer dessert!  It's light and delicious.  This Hawaiian Dessert recipe came from The Taste of Home website.  I used to get their magazine and loved their recipes!  This one didn't disappoint!  (Sorry about the weird fonts.  Don't know why they changed.)

Hawaiian Dessert

(This makes 2 complete desserts!)

Ingredients:
1 package (18-1/4 ounces) yellow cake mix
3 packages (3.4 ounces each) instant vanilla pudding mix
4 cups cold milk
1-1/2 teaspoons coconut extract
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, well drained
2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped and sweetened
2 cups flaked coconut, toasted

 Directions:

•Mix cake batter according to package directions. Pour into two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pans. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until the cakes test done. Cool completely.

 • In a large bowl, combine pudding mixes, milk and coconut extract; beat for 2 minutes. Add the cream cheese and beat well. Stir in pineapple.

 • Spread over the cooled cakes. Top with whipped cream; sprinkle with coconut. Chill for at least 2 hours. Yield: 24 servings.

I followed the recipe up until the whipping cream part.  I just used Cool Whip instead.  You know me, if there's an easier alternative, I go with it. 
Mix up the cake mix per the box directions and bake two 9x13 pans.  You will end up with 2 thin cakes.  Let them cool completely. 

Mix the pudding and milk, then mix in the cream cheese.  Make sure the cream cheese is VERY soft!  Mine wasn't quite soft enough and I got little lumps in the mixture.  It tasted fine, but didn't look too good at this point.  Fold in the pineapple.  Spread half of the mixture on each cake.  


Next I just spread a small (8 oz) container of Cool Whip on ONE cake.  I skipped the whole whipping cream step.  Then I sprinkled coconut on top.  Toasted coconut would look a little nicer, but I didn't have time.  I left coconut off one side because hubby doesn't really like it.  




It tastes as good as it looks!  I am going to try to figure out a one cake recipe for this.  Two is just too much!  I think I'll take the other one to work tomorrow for the office staff, so if you're lucky enough to work with me and want a piece of this dessert, stop by tomorrow! :)

 I think I would also like more pineapple in my recipe as well so if I halve the other ingredients, I don't think I'll halve the pineapple.  And I'll definitely try to toast the coconut next time!


~Dawn

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...