Sunday, August 12, 2012

Laundry Room Remodel - Finally!

IT'S DONE!  IT'S DONE!  I'm so excited and L.O.V.E my new laundry room.  Doing the laundry is pure joy now!  Well, let's not go that far, but it's definitely a lot easier to bear when you have a beautiful room in which you can go to do that particularly endless chore.

Remember back on June 1st when I announced I was remodeling my laundry room?  My goal was to have it completed by the time school starts in August.  Well, school starts in 3 days (I've actually been going in for over a week now though!) and I literally put the final touch on the room earlier today.  However, before we see the glorious transformation, let us revisit the horror that was the room "before":

Note the exposed subfloor and unfinished drywall.





What can I say?  It was an unorganized, ugly mess.  If you know me well, you know that unorganized drives me insane!  I can't believe I've been living with this for 20 years!  Luckily, I had A LOT of help from my amazing husband, Lance!  I couldn't have done it without him!  My boys also put in their fair share of time helping me.  Thank you Kenny and Kelin!!!!!  So, without further ado, here is my new laundry room..........



............................




............................





Wait for it.........................





.....................................






TADAAAAAA!



 It's so clean and bright!  I have room to move around and tons of storage space.  We completely replaced every surface.  I used textured wallpaper on the ceiling, which is a pain in the A** to put up!  The boys helped me with that.  I could never have done that alone.  We put bead board on the walls, floor to ceiling and vinyl peel and stick tile on the floor.  I painted the bead board Light French Grey from Sherwin Williams.  I love the color so much, I'm seriously considering putting it on my bedroom walls.  The trim is just 1x2s across the ceiling and corners and 1x3s for the baseboard, painted white.  I highly recommend painting the trim before you put it up.  It's much easier to touch up later rather than paint it on the wall. 


You would think that those gray fabric bins would be easy to find.  Nope.  I could find every other color available, except gray.  I finally had to order them From Amazon.  I found the yellow at Lowes. 

I could not find curtains anywhere that I liked.  I ended up buying a set of full size sheets at Target and cutting them up.  I just laid the flat sheet out, measured 55 inches from the bottom of the sheet up and cut.  Then I cut that in half, hemmed the two sides that weren't already factory hemmed, and done.  I used clip rings to hang them. 

Here's a closer picture so you can see the pattern and the cute birds on the wall (also from Target). 







This is one of my favorite things in the room:  a pantry shelf.  I've never had any place to put extra cupboard items and thus my kitchen food cupboard is overstuffed!  I can't believe what a difference it has made by just taking out a few boxes so far.  You'll never guess where I got the pantry shelf kit! Target of course! :)  Lowe's had them, too.  


On my wish list for this room was a counter and cupboards.  Now I have a place to fold laundry, work on a project, lay a sweater flat to dry, whatever. 



These shelves were not intended to be for decorative purposes only.  However, one thing led to another and now they are, for the time being.  I will not bore you with the Saga of the Shelves.  Suffice it to say, Kenny and I spent about two hours doing something that should have taken about 15 minutes.  And it was entirely NOT our fault.  There's a lot of blood, sweat, and tears in those shelves.  Don't ask.


The little laundry cart at the left was found at Menards.  It fits perfectly and is on wheels so I can just pull it out to get the supplies on the bottom.  



OMG! I had a genius idea that I just have to show you!  I was looking for a cute container of some sort to put my dryer sheets in.  I know, that's a little obsessive, but I wanted a nice looking dispenser rather than the ugly orange Bounce box that totally clashes with the rest of the decor!  Ladies...am I right????  So I'm walking around Target and it hit me like a ton of bricks when I saw this chrome napkin holder. 


I put the dryer sheets in the holder just like a pile of napkins.  All you have to do is grab the sheet and pull.  It pops right out!  Is that cool or what?  It also helps keep the room smelling nice because the sheets are sitting out.  I am very excited about my new Bounce dispenser. :)  Of course, you have to find just the right napkin holder for this. 



If you happen to remember my first post about the laundry room, one of my wish list items was to have the washer and dryer unstacked.  It became apparent in the middle of the project that was not going to happen.  Lance had to do some pretty creative plumbing and electrical work just to be able to move them about 2 feet to left.  It's an old house.  Nothing works out the way you really want it to.  But I'm ok with it the way it is.  


We had MANY, MANY frustrating problems come up.  For example:


Fail!  The drawers wouldn't close.  They were too tall and hit the counter top.  This all had to do with our uneven floor, trying to level the cupboards, and the counter. UGH!  All we could do was laugh becuase this was the end of a very loooong day.  Lance ended up sawing off the tops of the drawers. LOL!  I painted them white and you can't even tell the difference now.  


I did remodel the entryway, too.  There's a door that separates the two rooms.  Remember the awful "before" picture?  Pretty bad, huh?  I promise, the rest of my house does not look this bad!!!!!!! :)


"After."  MUCH better!  It's not as fancy as the laundry room.  I have a project to do that will go on one wall, but it's not done - and won't be for awhile.  I have a chair that will sit in that corner next to the wardrobe so Lance can sit and take off his work boots when he gets home from work.  I'm not sure what possessed me to do everything in white because I'm pretty sure this is going to be one of the hardest rooms to keep clean!



Let's take one more quick look, shall we? :)  Ahhhh.........


So, what was the damage?  I was hoping to do this remodel for $1,000 or so.  I really should know better than that because no remodel in the history of remodels has ever been on budget.  And ours generally run almost double of what we think they will.  I spent around $1,800.  I didn't keep perfect records, but that's a good estimate.   The cabinets are what put me over budget, but I really wanted them.  It was worth every penny!

Whew!  That was a long post! :)  I hope you've enjoyed your laundry room tour.  I've been doing laundry all day and I really haven't minded it one bit!  Don't worry.  I'm sure the newness will wear off soon and I'll hate laundry again just like everyone else.
Have a wonderful week!

~Dawn

I was part of these Linky Parties!  Check it out!


 
Making Pin It

10 comments:

  1. I LOVE it!! It looks fantastic! You did a wonderful job! Love the yellow and gray! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I don't think I've ever enjoyed a remodel tour so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much ladies!!!!!!! I'm so glad you dropped by to take a look. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Your new laundry room looks soooo good! So organized and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMW... it is BEAUTIFUL.... great job girly... you did wonderful..
    hugz..

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW WOW WOW!! What an amazing transformation! It looks just stunning now and perfectly organised! I want a laundry just like that! :)
    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much Jill! I hope to link to Round Tuit again soon :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...