Saturday, September 22, 2012

Lasagna Soup

It's the first day of fall and here in west central Illinois it definitely feels like it!  It was 42 degrees when I woke up this morning and only supposed to be in the low 60s I think.  The sun is shining but it's a blustery day Piglet!  I've resisted turning the heat on yet, but it's getting harder!  If I can hold out a couple more days, temps are supposed to get back into the 70s again soon.  In the meantime, I'll just wear sweatshirts and curl up with my favorite blankie in the evenings. :)
Another way to warm up my family is a hot bowl of soup.  My last post, 10 Things I Love About Fall, really should have included a #11:  soups!  I am always looking forward to fall so I can start cooking soups again.  Spinach Bisque, Gilson Corn Chowder, Chili...  My mouth is watering just thinking about them!  This Lasagna Soup recipe is one that I have been making for years and is a family favorite.  I cut it out of a magazine about 10 or 12 years ago.  I'm not positive, but I think it was from Taste of Home.  It is so easy and tastes so delicious.  It also makes great leftovers.

Lasagna Soup

Ingredients:
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 C chopped onion
1 box Hamburger Helper Lasagna dinner mix
5 C water
1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes - undrained
1 (14 oz) can whole kernel corn - undrained
2 Tbl grated Parmesan cheese
1 small zucchini - chopped into small chunks

In a large soup pot, cook beef and onion over medium heat until well done.  Drain.  Return to pot.  Add contents of lasagna dinner sauce mix (NOT noodles), water, tomatoes, corn, and Parmesan cheese.  Bring to boil.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add lasagna noodles and zucchini.  Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until noodles are done.  Serve immediately.  Yields 10 servings (2 1/2 quarts). 

Doesn't it look delicious????


I generally use about 2 pounds of ground beef though because we like meat in our house.  I always serve it with garlic bread and I like to sprinkle more grated Parmesan on top of mine.  If you already have the beef precooked and in the freezer, this is really a quick meal.  I just thawed the meat and dumped everything in the pot to cook.  It takes me about 30 minutes to make. 

Give it a try on your next soup day!

~ Dawn

I was part of these Linky Parties.  Check it out!

 
 
sshbutton
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...