Sunday, October 21, 2012

Spinach Bisque

I've been trying to think of a good intro to this post, but nothing is coming to mind.  I think my brain has hit overload after spending two days at a state library conference.  So much great information to take in!  Or, it could be that the bump I now have on my head from an altercation with my trunk lid this morning has affected my ability to think straight.  Either way, I think I better just jump right into the recipe...

Spinach Bisque

Ingredients:
2 (15 oz.) cans chicken broth
3 (10 oz.) pkgs frozen chopped spinach
4 Tbl butter or margarine
2 Tbl onion
4 Tbl cornstarch
Large jar Cheese Whiz
1 C shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 C shredded parmesan cheese
1 pint half and half

Bring broth to boil.  Add spinach and cook until it all separates (10-15 min).  Saute onion in 4 Tbl. butter until tender.  Add cornstartch and stir until blended, then add to spinach and broth.  Add 1/2 or more of the jar of Cheese Whiz, cheddar cheese, and parmesan.  Stir until cheese is melted.  Add half and half.  Continue cooking until heated through on low.  The longer it cooks, the better it is.  Do not boil.  Serves 12.

I got this recipe from Lance's Aunt Marian about 18 years ago.  She has since passed away, but I never make this soup without thinking of her!  She was a wonderful woman and is dearly missed by our family.  I follow the recipe with one minor change...when I get ready to add the cornstarch to the melted butter, I add some of the half and half first.  If I don't do that, the butter and cornstarch get too thick and leave lumps in the soup.  Sometimes I also add a little Velveeta to the soup to make cheesier. 


Makes me hungry just looking at this picture!  My whole family loves this soup!  Kenny even postponed going back to college the weekend I made this so he could have some. :)  I know there are many variations of this recipe out there, but this is the best one I've tried so far. 
Enjoy!

~Dawn

Pin It

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...