Monday, October 15, 2012

Spooky Ghosts

I'll be the first to admit that even though I absolutely love fall, Halloween is not my favorite holiday.  I guess I'm not a fan of all the horror movies and the macabre that gets so much attention this time of year.  But, I am a huge Stephen King fan.  Go figure.  My kids haven't trick-or-treated for years and I just got out of the habit of doing much Halloween decorating except for the occasional jack-o-lantern.  Anyway, I have tried to get into a more festive spirit this year thanks to Pinterest.  I saw these cute little ghosts and thought I just had to try making them!  I couldn't find the actual website they came from, but this is the picture:

 
 
I can make those.  Right?  Let's get started...
 
First, I had to buy a sheet.  I got lucky and found a set of twin white sheets on clearance at Target for about $12.  That's the only item I had to purchase for this project so that makes each ghost cost $6.  Then I found 2 tomato cages and 2 sets of icicle lights we already had on hand.  I used the icicle lights because 1.  they were easier to get to in the garage than the regular Christmas lights in the attic and 2. They have white cords so I thought they would blend in better with the sheet. 
 
I washed and dried the flat sheet to get out the wrinkles and then cut it in half to make two squares.  I debated about hemming the cut edges on my sewing machine, but I just wasn't in the mood to drag all that out.  Someday I'll have a permanent place for my sewing machine!
 
The next step was to wrap the lights around the cage.  There's no rhyme or reason to this.  I just wrapped the cord around the cage leaving the plug end hanging out on the bottom. 
 
 
 
I did decide that I should hand sew some tie downs on the corners to keep the sheet in place. I live in the country and it gets windy sometimes.  All I did was cut one of the hemmed edges off of the sheet and tacked it down with some needle and white thread.  I sewed one tie down on each corner of the sheet.  

 
 
Then I just draped the sheet over the cage, tied down the corners to the bottom of the cage and placed them outside.  Aren't they just adorable?!!!!  I drew faces on them with a black Sharpie after I put the sheet on.  I totally free-handed the faces, but I think they came out ok.  

 
 
There was a pretty good breeze blowing when I set them up as you can see the sheet blowing below.  

 
 
I decided I had better pin them to the ground so they didn't blow over.  I found some metal stakes we had from something else and they worked well.  If you look closely, you can see the wire stake here:
 


 
 
Well, all was well and I went to work the next day.  Unfortunately, it got extremely windy before I got home.  I found my cute ghosts in a pile of sheets, lights, and flowers when I got home.  The cage had also poked through the sheet. :(
 


 
FAIL!
 
 
I was pretty bummed.  I brought the ghosts in to try to do some minor surgery and repair the damage.  Then I had to figure out how to fix it so the cage didn't poke through again.  Not my best idea here, but his is all I had on hand...
 

Yep, I taped cotton batting on top of each cage leg.  It's working for a quick fix.  My ghosts are happy to be haunting my front yard again.


You can see the batting in these pictures, but it doesn't really show up when you're just looking at them.  I still think they're cute!  They aren't too bad for no more time and money than I have invested in them.  It probably took me an hour to put them together and another half an hour to fix them after the wind took over. 

A couple of days later I found this GENIUS idea for the top:

 


 
 
Why didn't I think of this?????  Placing a Styrofoam ball on top would give it a better shape and keep the metal from poking through the sheet!  Oh well.  Maybe I'll try this next year.  Until then, I'm happy with my ghosts. :)
 
~Dawn
 
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...