Sunday, November 11, 2012

Two-Ingredient Pumpkin Cake with Apple Cider Glaze

I am always on the look out for easy to make desserts that taste delicious.  Seriously, isn't everyone though?  I rarely bake from scratch (because I just stink at it!) so when I saw this recipe for a 2 ingredient cake, I thought "I can do that!"  :)  This is definitley one of the easiest desserts I've made and it tastes delicious!  I got the original recipe here.

Two-Ingredient Pumpkin Cake with Apple Cider Glaze

Ingredients:

For Cake -
1 box yellow cake mix
1 (15oz) can pumpkin

For Glaze -
1 1/2 Cups powdered sugar
3 Tablespoons apple cider
3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

Directions:
Empty the contents of the boxed cake mix and pumpkin into a large bowl.  Using a hand-mixer or stand mixer beat until well incorporated.  The batter will be very thick, but will come together nicely.
Pour batter into a greased  7 x 11 X 2 pan.  
Bake at 350 degrees for 28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Do not overbake. Let cool for 5-10 minutes in the pan, then flip onto a platter.
Make the glaze while you're waiting.
Combine powdered sugar, apple cider and pumpkin pie spice.  Glaze should be thick but pourable.  Add more sugar or cider if needed.  Pour over the cake while still warm.  Reserve some to pour over each slice when served.
Serve warm or room temperature.
That's it!  Now I know this cake isn't low cal, but at least it's not using the extra eggs and oil that it usually would.  After I baked the cake, I didn't really want to put it on a platter just for us (why dirty another dish???) so I just left it in the pan.  I poked a few holes on top with a meat fork so the glaze would soak in a little.  The recipe recommends reserving some of the glaze to pour over each serving, but I just dumped it all on the cake.  It worked out fine that way, but I think I actually would've liked it better if I had some of the glaze to pour on my piece. Next time, I'll do it that way. 
Speaking of the glaze, it seems like a waste to buy an entire container of cider just for 3 tablespoons.  It's ok if you like apple cider, and I do, but I'm the only one in my house who drinks it.  So now I have this large container of cider and I can't drink it all.  I think next time I'll just use milk instead of cider to make the glaze.  I don't think the cider changed the taste that much.  Most of the glaze taste came from the pumpkin pie spice.  Using milk will make the glaze more white than brown, but that's ok.  I think it will be good either way!
It's not the prettiest dessert, but it tastes good!  And what could be easier????

 
It tastes good with vanilla ice cream or I'm sure with Cool Whip as well.  It's wonderfully easy fall dessert that I'm sure I will make again!
 
 
~Dawn
 



Pin It

2 comments:

  1. You could also use apple juice. That comes in small to very small containers. If you want really small, get a single baby apple juice, very little left and easy to drink.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea on the baby size apple juice!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...