Monday, December 3, 2012

Baked Red Potatoes

It's December in the midwest.  That should make you think of chilly weather and Christmas preparations.  Not this past weekend!  We had a bit of a warm snap and it prompted us to get out the grill!  Each winter, we buy a side of beef and a side of pork to stock the freezer.  We picked up the meat on Saturday and couldn't wait to throw some steaks on the grill!  One of my favorite side dishes for grilled meat is Baked Red Potatoes (for lack of a better name).  I've been making these for years and they're a family favorite.  They are so easy to make and delicious!  I don't really have an  exact recipe.  This is one of those that you just toss some ingredients into a pan and go.  Here's the basics:

Spray a 9 x 13 pan (I used foil ones for easier clean up!) with Pam.  Clean and quarter a 3lb. bag of small, red potatoes and add to greased pan. 
Toss in a 1/2 cup or so each of chopped onion and chopped green pepper.  I do use frozen onion and pepper which makes for quick preparation.  However, fresh onion and pepper are delicious if you have it and have time. 
Add 4 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons dry ranch dressing mix (more if you want to really taste the ranch).  Mix well.
Bake uncovered in a 400 degree oven for about 45-60 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender. Stir occasionally during baking. Sometimes I add some shredded cheese to the top at the end of baking for a little extra flavor.  I just forgot this time. 

Ready for the oven:
 
Ready for eatin':

 
I ate it this on December 1st.  Nothing like a delicious summer meal at the end of  fall.  The corn was some of the fresh summer corn on the cob that I had frozen and the steak was grilled to perfection.  I love these potatoes!  They're so easy to prepare!  Don't like green peppers?  Leave them out.  Try adding other vegetables.  You could even cook corn or green beans right in the pan with the potatoes.  You can really adjust this recipe anyway you like.  


I think today was our last warm day.  I actually opened my windows for a little bit this afternoon!  Enjoying the fresh air while I can because I'm sure it will be cold soon enough. :)

~Dawn




Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness...good thing I am not hungry...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the next time you are hungry, give them a try! They are delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...