Sunday, January 13, 2013

Book Club Christmas Ornament

January is practically half over already!  I spent the last week getting back into a routine after a nice long winter break from school.  I've made some organizational changes here at home (which I will blog about later).  One thing I'm trying to do is carve out more time for blogging.  My goal is to do at least one post a week, but lately it's been more like once every two weeks or more. :(  By the way, I just saw that I have passed a milestone of having 2,000 blog visits!!!!!  Thanks so much to everyone who takes time out of their busy day to visit my little slice of the blogosphere.  I sincerely appreciate all the support!

A few weeks ago I mentioned in a blog post that we had to cancel our December book club due to a winter blizzard and some other personal matters within our group.   We were all disappointed since our Christmas book club is generally the highlight of our year.  I was probably the most disappointed because I had a special gift for each book club member that I couldn't wait to give them!  Well, after all the holiday craziness died down, we were finally able to get together last week at a restaurant.  It still wasn't our usual celebration, but we were just happy to be able to spend time together.  AND I was finally able to give them my gift!

Last November marked the 10th anniversary of our book club and I wanted to make something special for the girls to commemorate that milestone.  I saw a wonderful idea on Pinterest and tweaked it for our book club. 

As I've mentioned before, one of our book club members died of cancer a few years ago.  I wanted to somehow include her in my gift because she was an important part of our group and we miss her so much.  I contacted her husband who, after I explained my project, graciously agreed to help me.  He was able to find her copy of the first Christmas book we read back in 2002, which she had picked for us to read. The book is  Skipping Christmas by John Grisham (the movie Christmas with the Kranks is based on this book).  He gave me the book and I went to work....shredding it.  I know!  I'm quite sure that shredding a book is the 8th deadly sin.  But it was for a good cause!  Here's the result of my work:




It was hard to get a good picture without a glare so I'm sorry about the quality.  After I shredded some of the book pages, I wrapped each strip around a pencil to create curls.  Then, I stuffed the strips into plain glass ornaments until they looked full.  I also added some sparkling snow to add a little shimmer (probably about 1- 2 tablespoons).  Next, I put the "10" stickers on the front and tied ribbons to the top.  I also added a crystal charm that resembles a snowflake.  The most time consuming part was the paper curling.  I was so happy with how they turned out! I also made another gift for one of our friends who is in our dinner group, but not book club.  I'll blog about that another day. 

I hope this post has given you some ideas for a gift you can make in the future.  The original post suggested putting a wedding invitation inside as a gift for the bride and groom.  You could also do a birth announcement, favorite poem, copy of a cherished had written letter....the possibilities are endless!

~Dawn Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Dawn -- that is a very Sherry-worthy idea! Love it. December is one of my favorite book club months too and I missed ours due to the flu. Really bummed me out! We did a bookmark exchange this year :-)

    I don't get to your blog much as I'd like but I'm excited for you that you are doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the message Toni! I hope Sherry would approve. :) The whole time I was shredding the book I kept saying "I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" LOL! We used to do a gift exchange, but several years ago, we decided to each give $20 to that month's hostess and she can donate it to a charity of her choice. It's been so rewarding to do it that way!
    We seriously need to meet in the middle sometime and have lunch. It's been way too long!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...