Saturday, January 26, 2013

Mod Podge Picture Tile

If you remember a couple of weeks ago, I posted about the Christmas ornaments I made for my book club.  We also have one friend who does not attend book club, but she does come to our monthly dinners.  I wanted to make her something special, too!  I saw the perfect craft on Pinterest.  The website doesn't really give a tutorial, but I got my inspiration from the picture of the project.  As much as I love crafting, I admit that I had never used Mod Podge before.  I love it!  It was so easy to use and the project turned out great!  First, here's a picture of the finished project:


Sorry about the picture quality.  I really need to learn how to use my camera better!  The picture is from a dinner we attended last December.  So, let's get crafting!

I bought the 6x6 ceramic tile at Lowe's.  I really wanted one that was more rectangular, but couldn't find one I really liked.  I printed the picture on glossy photo paper in my inkjet printer at home and trimmed it down slightly on the edges.  The background paper is just scrapbook paper I already had on hand that I cut down to just fit on the tile.  I don't know where I bought it for sure, but probably JoAnn Fabrics, Michael's or Hobby Lobby.  I know, that didn't narrow it down very much!  I really can't tell you what the words say on the paper because I honestly didn't read it.  Hopefully it has a positive sentiment. :)

 
 

I started by putting a coat of Mod Podge on the ceramic tile with a brush.  In the future, I think I'll use a sponge brush to hopefully avoid having as many brush strokes.  You'll see what I mean later.  


 
 
After the first coat of Mod Podge, I layed the scrapbook paper over it while it was still wet and pressed it down. Then I added another coat of Mod Podge on top of the paper.   

 
 
Tip:  To keep the brush wet between coats, put it in a Ziploc bag. Genius, I know. :)
 
 
While it's still wet, lay the picture on the tile, set in place, and press down.  Then I added 2 more layers of Mod Podge on top of the picture and tile, allowing the first coat time to dry in between.  After it dried over night, I sprayed the entire tile with a sealer.  I have no idea what brand it was because I used the last of it and then threw the can out.  Any multi-purpose sealer will work.  Just read the can and find out what surfaces it works best on.  Yes, it's supposed to have that milky white color until it dries.  

 
 
Here's a picture of the finished project that shows the brush marks I was talking about.  If you look at the tile in a certain light, you can see the brush marks.  I used glossy Mod Podge.  They sell a matte version and I wonder if it wouldn't show the brush marks as much.  I might have to try it sometime.  

 

 
I bought a small picture stand to hold up the tile.  I think it turned out really good!!!!!  I'm already thinking of other things I can Mod Podge.  That stuff could be addicting!  These would make wonderful Mother's Day gifts!  What about using a photo copy of a marriage license for the background and putting the couple's wedding picture on it?  The lyrics to "your song" and a picture of you and your spouse?  Of course you don't have to use words as a background.  Any pretty paper would work.  The possibilities are endless!  I hope this has given you some inspiration for your next project!

 
~Dawn

 


Pin It

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...