Sunday, February 24, 2013

Creamy Bacon Carbonara

Mmmmm...bacon! :)  That's exactly what I thought when I saw this recipe.  The original recipe is from Just Get Off Your Butt and Bake.  The recipe below my version.  In her version, she left out the mushrooms, onions, and didn't add any other meat besides the bacon.  Borrrrring!!!!!!  I added all of that into my recipe and it was delicious!  She also doesn't give directions for how to finish the sauce.  All in all, it wasn't a very complete recipe.  I added some extra ingredients and more steps.

CREAMY BACON CARBONARA
2 eggs
1/4 cup Heavy Cream 
1/3 cup Parmesan
Parsley flakes
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp Red Pepper flakes
1/2 lb. bacon fried crisp then crumbled
1 small onion, chopped
3 mushrooms sliced
1/2 lb. Pasta (I used spaghetti)
3-4 Chicken breasts, cooked to your liking

DIRECTIONS:
Start the water to cook the pasta in a large pot.  While the pasta is cooking, make the sauce.

Beat the eggs, cream, Parmesan, parsley, salt and the red pepper together in a bowl and set aside.  Fry the bacon until crisp, then crumble and set aside.  With 1 -2 Tbsp. bacon grease, saute the onion and the mushrooms until the onions are translucent and golden.

To the mushrooms and onions, add the cream mixture and heat over low heat for several minutes (until hot).  Do not use high heat or you might scramble the eggs. 

Once pasta is done, drain and put back in the pot.  Stir the sauce mixture into the pasta.  Sprinkle bacon over the top and serve with a chicken breast and additional Parmesan. 


Ok, that's the recipe with a few adjustments.  It's a little hard to follow, I think.  I doubled the recipe for the sauce and that worked out fine.  It is definitely a multi-step recipe that requires you to have several things going at once.  I didn't use chicken breasts, I actually used chicken tenders and cooked them in a skillet while making the sauce and cooking the pasta.  Ya, I was working three pans at once!

 
This is not a recipe you want to try on a busy weeknight.  I'm usually into recipes that are a little easier.  Well, it's not really that difficult of a recipe I guess, it just seems like it because you have so much going on at once.  In the end, it was worth it!  It was really good.  It wasn't as creamy as I expected, but it was still a nice change from the usual spaghetti recipes.  I topped each serving of the pasta with a chicken tender.  You could also chop up the chicken and just stir it into the pasta. 
 
 
See that biscuit on the side?  Delicious!  It tastes very much like the Cheddar Bay Biscuits from Red Lobster!  I'll do a post on those later. We also had side salads with our meal.  Lance gave this meal 5 stars!  That's pretty high praise from him for a new recipe!
 
Enjoy!
 
~Dawn

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...