Sunday, March 24, 2013

7 Layer Salad

I have an adorable niece!  I'm probably a little biased, but she is pretty darn cute! We celebrated her 2nd birthday this weekend with a Sesame Street party.  I'll be blogging soon about all the awesome decorations my SIL made for the party!  You won't believe how great it turned it out!  Anyway, this is my cutie patootie niece blowing out her candles on her Cookie Monster cupcake:


And showing us her blue tongue from the frosting! :)


I just love this little girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, the title of the post is 7 Layer Salad, not Sesame Street birthday party, so I better get to the recipe.  I made this salad for the party and got many compliments on it.  I've made this salad  for years and it's one of my family's favorites.  You can only make it when you expect to feed a crowd though because it does not make good leftovers and the recipe is for a large dish.  

I got the original recipe from the Coldbrook Christian Church Sesquicentennial Cook Book on recommendation from mom-in-law many years ago.  I mentioned this cookbook in a post from last summer. It has some delicious recipes from those old school farm wives!  This particular recipe was submitted to the cookbook by Mrs. Ken (Dalene) Knowles.  I love how the wife's name is in parenthesis.  Today, I'm just Dawn Malcolm.  Back then, I would've been Mrs. Lance (Dawn) Malcolm.  How times change!

I seem to keep getting off the topic here!

7 Layer Salad

1 head lettuce, broken into bite size pieces (to save time, I buy the pre-cut lettuce in a bag)
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced green pepper (sometimes I use red pepper, like I did in this example)
1/2 of an onion sliced into rings
10 oz. pkg. frozen peas, thawed but not cooked
2 cups Hellman's mayonnaise (Miracle Whip can be used, depends on your preference)
2 Tbsp. sugar
8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
4 oz. pkg. shredded cheddar cheese (I use finely shredded)

Layer vegetables on lettuce in order given.  Spread mayonnaise on top.  Mix the sugar, crumbled bacon, and  cheese and sprinkle over the mayo.  Let sit in refrigerator overnight.  

That's it.  Super easy and can be made way ahead which is great when you're busy playing hostess for a party.  I actually use my 10x15 dish for this recipe.  A 9x13 would probably be too full.

Lettuce and celery layered:


Red pepper and onion layer:
I like to leave the onion in rings since some people don't like to eat onion.  This way, you can still get the flavor, but people can pick it out if they don't like it (like me!).


Layered with peas:
Mine weren't totally thawed, but that's fine.  As long as you leave it in the fridge overnight, the peas will thaw.


You have to spread the mayo on like frosting.  It's a little tricky at first, but you'll get the hang of it.


The final layer of cheese, sugar, and bacon:
Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.  


You can serve this two ways.  You can carefully toss the salad before you serve it so all the layers are mixed, or you can just scoop each serving out with a spoon or tongs (which is what I usually do).  Like I said, this doesn't make very good leftovers.  However, if you toss it, you definitely can't keep it for leftovers in the fridge because the lettuce will be all wilted and gross.  If you leave it layered though, you can eat it for lunch the next day - but that's about it.  After that, it gets soggy and doesn't taste as good. So I definitely suggest only making this for a party or large meal.  

Enjoy!
~Dawn


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...