Thursday, April 11, 2013

Eighteenth Birthday Cupcakes

I'm feeling a little old this week. Actually, this whole year. We have several milestones in our family throughout the year and it brings about some very mixed feelings for this mama.

First of all, Lance and I celebrated our 21st anniversary last week! Now I know that's not one of those normal milestone anniversaries like the 25th, 40th, or 50th. However, in this day and age, I think every year after 20 is a milestone because so many couples don't make it that far. Hubby was actually out of town on our anniversary for work, so we are going out to a nice dinner tomorrow night to finally celebrate!



Today, my son Kelin, who is a senior in high school, brought home his cap and gown and graduation invitations.  Now, I have always been a mom who looks forward to the next stage in my kids' lives.  I don't sit around and pine for the days when they were toddlers and we spent our days playing tractors on the living room floor.  I enjoyed that time just as much as I enjoyed watching them grow through elementary school, fumble through middle school, and excel in high school.  Kenny is already a sophmore in college so I'm familiar with that scene.  However, I got a little teary eyed when I saw Kelin's cap and gown on the table today knowing he's my last, my baby, about to leave the nest, too.  I'm looking forward to the next season of life and spending more time hanging out with hubby, but today gave me pause, realizing that life goes by way too fast. 



Which leads me to the real reason for this post.  Kelin also turned 18 last week the day after our anniversary.  It's hard to put a theme together for an 18 year old young man's birthday.  And after all, my SIL and I spend so much time making decorations for my niece's parties that I felt I had to be a little creative. :)  So, I got out our old pictures and found some great ones of Kelin at different stages of his life and created a display down the center of the table. 

 
Everyone really enjoyed looking at the pictures.  He was such a cute little kid! :)  (but I'm biased)
My favorite part though was the cake!  Or I should say cupcakes!  The cupcakes themselves were nothing fancy...regular boxed cake mix and buttercream frosting.  I lightly sprayed them with blue edible paint to give them some color and added sprinkles.  Nothing fancy.  Then I arranged them in the shape of an 18. 


 
I think it turned out pretty good!  I made 4 dozen cupcakes and used all but about 6 of them for the 18.  The board is probably a 2x2 piece of plywood.  I'm seriously considering making cupcakes for his graduation party in May and creating a 2013 with them. 
 
After graduation in May, our next milestone will be Kenny's 21st birthday in the fall.  Definitely not ready for that one! :)  Hopefully I'll have some internet appropriate pictures to show you from that celebration. 
 
In the meantime, be sure to celebrate every single day as if it's a milestone.  Life is short and time
slips away all too fast!
 
Happy 18th birthday to my favorite farm boy!
 
 
 
~Dawn
 
 
 

Somewhat Simple
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...