Friday, May 3, 2013

A Mother's Love

Mother's Day is in a little over a week.  I'm not a real sappy person (just ask MY mother and she will surely confirm that because she definitely is!) so I won't be waxing poetic over a mother's love and all that.  However, I do take pride in being a good mom raising my boys into good men.  I got those skills from my own mom.  She's a great mom who would do anything for her kids and I like to think I take after her in that respect (maybe that makes up for my un-sappy side).  So here's a big THANK YOU to my mom for being so wonderful and always being there for me through anything!  I LOVE YOU!  (and I know she's crying as she reads this!)


Me, my mom, and my brother


Here's a motherhood story of a different sort:
I've had occasion this week to watch one very dedicated mom go through some harsh stuff for her babies.  She is truly an example of perseverance in the face of adversity!


Yes, she's a Mourning Dove.  :)  This little mama made her nest on top of our arbor on the patio.  She literally has not left that nest for one week!  I talk to her  all the time and tell her what a good job she's doing (I know, I know, now I'm turning into crazy bird lady).  She isn't scared off easily because I can get right under her and she just eyeballs me.  I do worry about where she built her nest though.  It's right on top of the arbor and is totally exposed to wind, rain, predators, everything!  You can barely see her below on top of lattice work.  If you live anywhere near west central Illinois, you know it rained ALL day today with more to come this weekend and is cold as well.  The picture above was taken through the window when it was basically pouring.  She just hunkers down and rides it out.  That's one dedicated mama!!!!!!


A dove built a nest in that same spot a few years ago and it didn't turn out very well for the babies. :(  I'm rooting for this batch to make it!
We have another nest on our property, too.  Well, it's on our property part of the time.  It's actually a travelling nest.  Confused?  Have you ever heard of a bird building a nest on the underside of a truck?????  Lance noticed a robin last weekend piling up sticks and stuff on his rear truck tire (it's his work truck so it mostly sits on the weekends) so he kept brushing it off to discourage her.  Apparently it was too late because all week he takes his truck to work but the second he gets home, that mama robin flies over to it and disappears inside.  I'm dying to get under there and find it, but haven't had a chance.  I'm not sure what the chances are that the babies will make though. :(  If they do, they'll be well traveled little buggers.  

So if you are a mother, Happy Mother's Day to you!  If you have a mother that is still with you, treat her right next weekend and thank her for all she's done for you.  I'm quite certain there are many, many things that your mother has done for you through the years that you don't even know about!  Your mother would do anything for you, including sitting on your egg in the pouring rain 24/7.   Remember, no one will ever love you more, unconditionally, than your mother!  

Happy Mother's Day!

~ Dawn


Pin It

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...