Saturday, June 1, 2013

Baked Chicken and Spinach Taquitos

I've finally had time to try a new recipe!  I made Chicken and Spinach Taquitos.  I didn't follow any one recipe exactly, but my inspiration came from Cinnamon and Spice and Healthy-Delicious

I started out cooking my chicken in the crockpot just like I do for my Chicken Tacos.  Put a bag of the frozen, boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the crockpot.  Season with taco seasoning and top with a small jar of salsa.  Cook on low for 6-8 hours.  After chicken is cooked, shred with a fork.
I actually only used about half of the chicken I cooked.  I froze the rest for later use. 

I really just sort of winged it for the rest of the recipe.  In a large bowl, I combined the shredded chicken, a 10 oz. package of frozen chopped spinach (thawed and drained), 8 oz. package of softened cream cheese, and about 2 cups of taco seasoned shredded cheese.  Mix well.

Using small, 6 inch, four taco shells, I placed about 2 tablespoons of the filling on the shell and rolled it as tight as possible. 

 

 I liberally sprayed a baking sheet with Pam and place the taquitos seem side down.  To keep them from unfolding while I made more, I butted a glass up next to the taquitos so they'd stay rolled. 
After I completed all the taquitos, I sprayed the tops of the taquitos with Pam (this is to help them brown). 

 
I put them in a 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes then I rolled them over and baked for another 15 minutes or so.  They don't come out brown on all sides, but they do have a nice crunch to them when they're done.  Baking them this way gives them that lightly browned crunch without all the added oil that frying would!

 
I served them with spanish rice and beans.  Everyone gave them a thumbs up!  They are even good as leftovers the next day.  They don't retain their nice crunch, but they still taste delicious!  These could really be made with about any meat and vegetable you like.  They are a nice alternative to the same old tacos and are really easy to make!

 
~Dawn

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...