Thursday, June 27, 2013

Slow Cooker Chicken Philly Sandwiches

I was looking for something different to do with chicken in the crock pot besides cooking and shredding it for casseroles when I happened upon this little gem from Food Family & Finds. Cat Davis has a wonderful blog full of great recipes and a ton of other stuff!  Check it out if you have time.  I love Philly style sandwiches and this recipe was so easy to put together in the crock pot and tastes delicious!  Here is my adaptation of the original recipe:

Slow Cooker Chicken Philly Sandwiches

Ingredients

2 tablespoons butter
1 large sweet onion, sliced
2 green bell peppers, sliced
3 boneless,skinless chicken breasts, sliced
1 can beer
McCormick's Grill Mates Backyard Brew Marinade
sliced Provolone cheese
hoagie rolls

Instructions
Spray a 3 – 4 quart slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray and turn to LOW heat.
Add butter, onions and green peppers.
Toss chicken with steak seasoning, salt and pepper, then add to slow cooker.
Cover and cook for 5 hours.

Serve on hoagies with a slice of cheese melted on top.

Here are the ingredients I used...simple!  Yep, Old Milwaukee Light in this house folks.  I don't drink beer at all, so this is what hubby prefers.  He's drank this since I've known him!  You'll notice that there is no beer mentioned in her recipe if you went to the website. I couldn't find that Dales' Steak Seasoning that she had listed in her recipe so I opted for a packet of McCormick Backyard Brew.  It calls for marinating the meat in a mixture of beer and the seasoning. I think it worked out great!


The chicken breasts I used were particularly thick so first I sliced them lengthwise to thin them out.


Then, I cut them into strips.


And finally, I put them in a large bowl and with the beer and marinade mix.  


While I let the chicken marinate for a bit, I sliced up the vegetables and added them to the crock pot.  You can barely see the butter melting on the bottom underneath the sliced onion.


This is two large green peppers, sliced.  


Using tongs, I removed the marinated chicken from the bowl and placed it on top of the peppers.  I did pour some of the marinade over the top as well (maybe one cup - I forgot to measure so use your best judgement).  I put the crock pot on low and cooked it for about 6 hours.  Now, let me tell you that this had a super strong smell as it was cooking!  I don't know if it was the marinade, onions, or a combination of both, but I was seriously worried that I had screwed this up and it was going to be way too seasoned and spicy!


This is what it looked like after cooking for about 6 hours.   I stirred it once around 4 hours to get everything mixed and make sure all the flavors blended.    


I just bought brawt style buns in the bakery, but you could use any hoagie type of bun that you prefer.  To serve the meat, I used tongs to remove it one serving at a time from the crock pot and placed on the bun.  Her recipe also calls for mozzarella cheese, but I had Provolone on hand already and that worked out just fine.  My cheese isn't nice and melted in this picture like hers is on the website, but let me tell you how delicious this turned out!  Everyone in my house decided this should make into our regular rotation.  It is so tasty and so easy!  I really can't wait to make them again!   It makes fabulous leftovers, too!


~Dawn

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...