Thursday, June 13, 2013

Stawberry Sauce

'Tis the season for fresh strawberries from the garden!  I'm not a huge fan of just eating strawberries on their own, but I love them in recipes.  I have a small strawberry patch in my MIL's garden and was able to pick a bunch the other day.  Don't they look delicious????


My two favorite things to make with strawberries are freezer jam and ice cream sauce.  I decided to make strawberry ice cream sauce with this batch since I really didn't have enough for jam.  If you happen to be one of my Facebook friends, then you know that I LOVE ice cream!  I eat way more than I should and it's extra delicious smothered in this strawberry sauce.  

I've been using a Martha Stewart recipe for quite some time now that I really like.  I sort of follow the recipe but not down to the letter.  
I start by heating 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water in a saucepan on high heat and bringing it to a boil.  Then I reduce the heat and simmer the mixture until the sugar is dissolved.  This only takes a few minutes.  Next, remove from heat and allow to cool.  So far, all of these steps follow the recipe exactly.  However, this is where I deviate.  After I have cleaned and removed the stems from the strawberries, I just cut them in half (or into quarters if they are large) and put about 1 to 1 1/2 pints into the sugar mixture.  Then I just take my potato masher and mash them up in the liquid.  No need to puree in the blender like the recipe states.  That's just an unnecessary extra step.  This way you can also have it chunkier or smoother depending on how you like it.  I leave some larger pieces of strawberry in the sauce, but it all depends on your taste.  


This sauce is so sweet and delicious!  You can also add more strawberries if you like a product that's more strawberry and less sauce.  
Now I really want a bowl of ice cream with strawberry sauce! But it's only 9 a.m.!!!!!!

~Dawn

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...