Saturday, July 6, 2013

Strawberry Banana Slushy

I have been on a quest to find a smoothie recipe I like.  I'm not a big yogurt fan and so many of the recipes I've found contain yogurt.  I stumbled upon this recipe from Stilletos and Legos (not sure about that combo!).  The recipe is actually for a slushy, not a smoothie but I thought it sounded pretty good and gave it a try.  I have a new favorite summer drink!  I love it!  I've created my own version of this recipe and I don't really measure so I can give you approximates.

Strawberry Banana Slushy:

1 medium banana
1/2 cup strawberries
1 cup ice
1/4 cup diet 7 Up

Put it all in a blender and mix.  That's it!  She calls this a zero calorie slushy on her blog because she never counts calories for fruit.  However, after looking up the calories, this is less than 200 calories depending on how much fruit you add.  She uses 2 bananas and I only use one and I use less strawberries.
Look yummy?



I've gotten into a routine of drinking one of these slushies after I finish my workout for the day.  I like getting the protein from the banana right after a workout and the slushy really cools you off after being all hot and sweaty.  The way I mix it makes about 2 cups of slushy.  This is enough to feel like you really got a treat!  I like to use fairly ripe bananas so they make the drink sweeter.  You can also use other fruit, too.  I've added watermelon and peaches and they both taste great.  I always add the banana though for the protein.

This slushy is my reward for working hard and sweating my butt off during the workout!  However, if you're not into working out, you can still drink this for a cool summer drink.  Add a little rum and you can have yourself a cocktail. :)  Either way, I'm addicted to this slushy!  It's such a low calorie treat that I just can't stop making them!

~Dawn Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...